Packaging and Laboratory Technician
Wilson’s Hard Cider is a craft cider company located outside of Iowa City. Our production team is growing and we are currently seeking a Packaging/Lab Technician to join our team. The ideal candidate will be a team player, have experience in food/beverage production and a passion for craft! This is a permanent, full-time hourly position. To apply email your resume and cover letter to Vic Weese at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Packaging and Laboratory Technician is responsible for the analytical and microbiological monitoring of the entire production process from ingredient acquisition to packaging and distribution. Routine tasks include daily sampling and preparation of samples, executing a range of analytical testing, recording results, and reporting data. This position is required to diligently perform all packaging functions, cellar duties as trained, as well as warehouse and facilities maintenance. The Packaging/Lab Tech reports directly to the Head Cidermaker.
- Contribute to the quality assurance processes, improvements and evolution of the cellar and packaging department to gain efficiencies; troubleshoot problems and communicate needs with supervisors
- Obtain and prepare samples from various points of the production process, as well as participate in daily sensory analysis panel.
- Follow good laboratory, documentation, manufacturing, and safety practices
- Take inventory and ensure the laboratory is well-stocked and resourced
- Streamline all aspects of package assembly and bottling operation while monitoring quality standards
- Perform regular facility inspections to maintain a clean and organized work area
- Clean and sanitize cider barn equipment, kegs, lines and other areas in the cider barn; keep track of clean and dirty equipment and kegs
- Keg cleaning, monitoring of keg fleet and kegging operations
- Duties will also include assisting hard cider makers and warehouse duties
- Other duties as assigned
Important Skills and Abilities
- A strong work ethic and sense of urgency; the ability to multi-task, prioritize competing tasks, and work independently, while excelling in a collaborative team environment
- Must be punctual, self-motivated, and employ effective time management skills
- Ability to problem-solve and work through challenges while remaining calm, flexible and upbeat, knowing when to ask for help to prevent mistakes and complete the task
- Mechanical aptitude and demonstrated ability to work with cider making and packaging equipment, basic tools, and to drive a forklift
- Writing and math skills necessary to read and write orders and to accurately complete dilution calculations, volume, flow, density, weight, length, pressure and other unit conversions, calculate cider volumes/losses, and alcohol content
- Ability to communicate clearly
- Ability to continuously stand, walk, lift, carry and handle 10 lbs, frequently bend, stoop, kneel, climb, reach, and push; and occasionally lift and carry 50lbs to 70 lbs throughout shift
- Must be comfortable in a fast-paced, labor intensive, damp and variable temperature and warehouse environment and to work with hot, cold and hazardous equipment and materials.
- Minimum 1 year experience in relevant work experience including previous packaging experience within a brewery is preferred
- Previous experience with mechanical systems and troubleshooting problems
- Inventory management skills
- Must be 21 years of age or older
To apply email your resume and cover letter to Vic Weese at email@example.com.